Book reviews, musings and waffle from a British lit addict
February 21, 2016
The Crimson Petal and the White Read-Along: Week 1 – Chapters 1 to 7
How’s everybody doing on this gloomy Sunday evening? Hopefully all enjoying The Crimson Petal and the White as much as I am!
Here are this week’s prompts. Feel free to use these or to chat about this week’s chapters in whatever way you like.
1) We’ll start simple. How are you finding the book so far?
2) The language and tone of the writing is pretty brutal and unflinching. Does that bother you? Does it change how you feel about doling out recommendations?
3) We’ve met both Sugar and William Rackham now. First impressions?
4) Agnes Rackham has been a bit of a fringe character in this first section but her treatment by her husband and doctor makes her quite the tragic figure. What do you think about her mysterious ‘illness’?
5) Much though I’m really enjoying the book, there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of a plot. Any predictions about what’s coming up?
Leave a link to your post below so that I can stop by and chat prostitutes!